Wednesday, September 19, 2007

My First Wiki Authoring Experience (EDT-5410, Week 3)

While this was my first experience as a wiki author/contributor; I have often looked to the Wikipedia for research material, answers to questions, etc.

Since I have no experience with HTML code, I felt deceived by the simplistic appearance of the edit window. I expected it to act like a word processor, not a code writing window.
In some aspects, the edit window did function much like a word processor, but I had pre-typed my material using Microsoft Word expecting to be able to cut and paste. Alas, when I pasted my text, everything became a hyperlink…not what I intended. I fished around a bit trying to eliminate the hyperlink but gave up and retyped the text. I will admit that I did not spend much time trying to figure out how to successfully cut and paste, but I will.

On the other hand, I deleted the “back” command when I first began editing. I had saved my edits before I realized it, but was pleased when I figured out how to put it back simply by looking closely at that same command on other pages. I’m actually looking forward to researching the functions and becoming more proficient.

I must mention a book that I am reading along with this class: Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms by Will Richardson. Regardless of your technology role in an educational setting, if you do not have this book…get it! I have more post-it notes sticking off the pages than I have pages…seriously! After reading the chapter on wikis and experimenting with the PBWiki for class, I have some really great ideas for using wikis at work.

I lead a group of 23 front-line technology troubleshooters (called the TAG team) and we have PD about every six weeks. I think a wiki would be an excellent source of material for them in between meetings. Often changes occur in hardware, software, or network features between meetings and we rely on email and/or newsletter to notify them…why not a wiki that is dynamic and updated as changes in our environment occur? We could have pages for training, project status, FAQ, question and answer...and probably several more that I cannot think of right now.

Additionally, we are struggling with a very kludgy Intranet that is difficult to add to or update; I wonder if a wiki might be an easier solution…I’m open for input!

-Barb Smalla

2 comments:

April Katz said...

I had trouble when I went to cut and paste...it went to the top of the page and turned orange...It was very frustrating to say the least. There are a ton of ways that Wikis can be used...however, I would have to train people before we could use them :)

Sarah-Beth Barry said...

This is so embaressing. Until this week, I didn't know that wikipedia was a wiki. I just thought it was a goofy name. At my school, we have great computers and internet. We never seem to have pd using the computers. I hope that happens in the future.