Wednesday, December 5, 2007

New Directions in IDT, Ch. 31 (EDT5410, Wk. 14)

Artificial intelligence (AI) software and training modules intrigue me; the fact that a software program can recognize one’s learning styles, preferences and motivation level based on responses, and adapt accordingly is remarkable. I understand that some computer based testing applications have had this ability for quite some time, but introduction of this technology into the training field holds great potential. Talk about individualized instruction! The example given in which a novice is shown the way in which an expert would respond as opposed to simply being given an incorrect mark for their response leads way to ponderings of unlimited applications and scenarios.

The section on cognitive science and neuroscience contributions, specifically “the ability to influence brain activities affecting learning” (Reiser, Dempsey, 2007) is both awe-inspiring and frightening. To think that certain areas of the brain can be “stimulated” to foster learning sounds positive, yet in the wrong hands could be abusive. This conjures up visions of shock therapy…yikes! Sometimes, though, I think my memory needs a good jolt! LOL

The section about distributed cognition and team members being matched for efficiency almost made me laugh out loud! In an educational environment, where money is always an issue, I can hardly fathom being able to pick and choose team members based on compatibility. We have to adapt and work with whoever is on the team and get the job done; guess that speaks positively to our ability to be flexible and accommodating.

My favorite activity…humm…that’s a tough one! I think the activity that was the most fun was customizable Google maps. However, the applications that I have adopted and use frequently are social bookmarking and RSS. I plan to continue blogging and build my website for professional gain (hopefully); I’ve also volunteered to take over the build/maintenance of the webpage for our department (wish me luck…I’m open to suggestions). In actuality, I will probably use all of the applications that we explored eventually; some sooner than others.

1 comment:

Amy Burton said...

I agree that the brain stimulation was a little scary! I wonder if it will become a tool that is actually used in the future!